Originally Posted by erich
The sxs experience, if your going to do it take the plunge and be sure to find one with TWO triggers, once you learn you'll never understand why anyone would want a single trigger. The single trigger is the most problematic part of a sxs shotgun. Try and stay with a boxlock, sidelocks while elegant remove a lot of wood in the wrist area, heavier modern loads can be hard on old wood. Greener crossbolts make for great lock ups and tend not to shoot loose as easily, Merkel uses crossbolts in their lock up.

As far as modern ammo goes you don't need heavy loads to kill game. An ounce of 5s.and 6s have been more than adequate for wild pheasants and changing to bismuth the same load works well on waterfowl. A well fitted sxs seems to shave yards off the distance you have to shoot flushing birds.

There is nothing like walking out of the marsh with your game strap full and your sxs in hand.
This is interesting to me,
I just naturally gravitated towards a single trigger on my initial browsing on GunBroker. I guess because of familiarity?
How long does it take generally to adjust to the 2 triggers? Is the only advantage the ability to chose your choke independently on first shot?

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-