Originally Posted by WMR
There’s no magic in a SxS. Get one that fits and you’ll shoot it well. Your budget will allow you to get a good one. Your money will go a LOT farther on the used market. A 12ga will get you more gun for the money. A small bore will run 50% more. IMO it is best to avoid the shortest and lightest guns that seem “quick”. A 28 inch 12ga will be plenty quick enough and will be much easier to shoot well.

A few that I like within your price range are Ithaca/SKB, Browning BSS, Ithaca NID, and the Fox Sterlingworth. I’ve also seen some quality Spanish guns in this range. Take your time and learn your way through the process and/or get expert advice. Budget some money to have chokes opened if necessary. Best wishes.

Man, I don't know. I have one that makes magic. A Fox Sterlingworth made in 1910. It was my great grandfather's. He shot left handed and the stock was shaped to him. We must have been built nearly the same because the shotgun fits like a glove. It is the only shotgun that has never missed a turkey yet. Guys suggesting the double triggers are spot on. I like them and they feel natural once you get used to them. That second barrel has saved my azz a few times. A good double is great in the upland fields as well.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA