Originally Posted by RUM7
<SNIP> Lately, I find myself really wanting to try a SxS shotgun. Preferably an older gun with some character. I know that there are ones to look for, ones to avoid, ect.
I want to find Something that I can run modern ammo through, doesn't cost a fortune and can be repaired if needed. I'm not worried about anything fancy. Just a solid working man's gun that handles well and has good fit and finish. Any suggestions? Maybe around $1000-$1600 <SNIP> Thanks in advance

I get the part about older guns but when you mention using modern ammo, I wonder if you intend to shoot non-tox loads with steel shot? Given the fact that you're in CA, that might be likely?
If so, you might want to look at the 'Bobwhite' doubles being sold in this country by CZ-USA. They appear to be very well made guns, can handle steel shot and they come with a CZ factory warranty. CZ's operations here in this country are setup to offer service and parts, as well. The SxS Bobwhites that I've handled looked nice with very good fit and finish.

Sportsman's Warehouse has two models on sale right now for only $599 which seems like a really good deal. Here are links to those two models:
CZ Bobwhite CC Blued 12 Gauge 3in Side by Side Shotgun - 28in
CZ Bobwhite Case Colored Blued 20ga 3in Side by Side Shotgun - 28in
In looking at the SW website, they are showing the 20ga Bobwhite in stock at their store in Redding, CA. Good luck with your search!

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)