Originally Posted by tndrbstr
Here is my ‘73 cj5. 65,000 on the OD iirc. I’m second owner. It’s been setting here in the dry for going on 30+ yrs now, or close to it.
These are the bars I built for it.
The inside bar is 2" x3/16 sg tubing. Miter cut, beveled and welded. I have hand sketches of an 1 1/4 sg tubing three bar set up that I plan on replacing it with at some point. If I do I’ll make a detachable light bar that mounts to the top of it for when the rag top is off.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The front bumper is a three piece deal. The main bumper is 5" x 3/16 broke channel with 1 1/4 x 3/16 sg railing. The idea is to keep the radiator and engine compartment from being completely crushed if does roll over. The grill guard and light bar are separate pieces. Might do the them in aluminum at some point.
The rocker panels and rear bars are all out of 1 1/4 x 3/16 sg. The rockers are topped with aluminum tread plate.

The 73 was one of the final years that actually had a tail gate. And one of the first years with the 304 I believe.
The rear tire carrier holds a Gerry can on each side of the tire and hinges from either side to drop the tail gate. To much schit’n the way to get pic of it.

I’m about getting in the mind set to start a restoration on it.(old age project) I want to build a flip up/forward front clip that will carry the hood fenders bumper and all with it.. a hillbilly’s e-type jag look!1 HA! <G>

Get to going on it....
Here are two threads to spur you on.

I Blame NorthernDave
Blame NorthernDave II

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]