Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by gunswizard
When I turned 68 my balance/equilibrium went to h ell, can't walk in the woods without constant fear of falling. - - - - - May not be able to get back to baseline but any improvement will be welcome.
This - loss of balance may be the greatest factor leading to various aspects of physical decline - along with poor nutrition. One medical bout involved a prolonged course of massive med dosage - that disintegrated excellent muscle mass that had been maintained for 50 years, and significantly affected balance capability. That combination loss is difficult to regain, but worth the effort. The muscle has been easier to rebuild than the equilibrium, but progress is possible.

My loving family has been so helpful, but also came up with onerous cautions and rules - do not try to lift more than "X", do not get on a ladder, do not go out into the forest alone, sell all of the heavy trucks (I did do that). But, concentration and effort have steadily increased lifting more than X+, although body position limits some tasks (core strength). Now I can/do climb ladders, but handling weight while up there can be tricky - mostly the balance issue.

I once again roam out into the forest/high desert and went hunting alone this Fall. Now for certain in some situations, going up or down a slope - especially one covered with rocks or pebbles - can concentrate the mind almost to the point of bodily inaction. Inexorable gravity seems to make downhill more challenging than up. Yes - two falls - one uphill and one down - the latter more serious. A sad part is that you can feel the situation developing and can't seem to correct it quickly enough.

Once crashed on the rough and spiny deck and trying to tally any injury before figuring out how to get up, the absolute first thought was "Crap - did I damage this lovely rifle stock or hurt the scope". Selfishly, even that is a ton better than not trying.

I used to win local dance contests. I may not have been Fred Astair, but I was pretty nimble on my feet.

As far as "avoiding" accidents? Would love to have missed out on that head on wreck in 1991!

Hip broken and dislocated. Three bones broken in one foot. The heel crushed in the other foot.
No weight bearing structure left undamaged.
Hip implant and ankle pinned in place and my agility and stability are out the window
I just take my time crossing rough ground.