I'm not sure if there are other locations with similar rules, but in Louisiana & Mississippi they have a fairly liberal definition of what a "primitive" weapon can be by including breech loaded single shots >= .35 caliber with an exposed hammer. While the law may have been written with rifles that shoot rounds like .45-70 or .38-55 in mind, two of my buddies hunt with CVA's in .35 Whelen which I don't usually think of as being a very primitive round. The requirement that it have an exposed hammer is inconvenient since that eliminates my Ruger #1. But fortunately I have Winchester 1885's in .405 & .44 Magnum that qualify so I can hunt with them. I have eight single shots that I can use for deer hunting during the regular season. A few reasons for owning them is that mechanically, I just have a fondness for falling block rifles. Being a right-handed person who prefers to shoot left, I like their ambidextrous design. I also have an unexplainable penchant for less common calibers that can sometimes be easier to find in a single shot rifle (since not buying right-handed bolts eliminates a lot of options for me). So my fondness for single shot deer rifles is largely defined by personal quirks and narrowly defined hunting regulations. I would never try to convince anyone that my choices are better because there's too many good arguments that they're not. I just buy what makes me happy.