Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
I met Mike Horstman a few years ago on Kodiak prior to a bear hunt. Nice man. He was getting ready for a bear hunter coming in: we shared the same hanger building for a night or 2. I noticed a rifle there and asked him about it. It was a rather beat-up winchester 71. I asked him about it: he said he loaded Barnes tsx, the weight I can't remember: I remember his saying "I've tried them all" as in bullets, but loved the Barnes. We didn't talk guns any more: he was busy, we'd never met and I didn't feel comfortable taking more of his time. As I recall, he, his guide and hunter was going to head out on a boat for their camp, not far from town I believe.

That hanger building is my son’s and numerous hunters use it to store gear as they pass through.
I know Mike well and have been close friends with Marty ever since he moved to Alaska. Both guys are the real deal and serious hunters and shooters.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.