Originally Posted by Barkoff
Originally Posted by worriedman
Originally Posted by Barkoff
I have to be honest with you, as someone with bipolar in the family, it would scare the hell out of me to not have any recourse in disarming somebody having a manic episode.

You’d need to live with full blown mania to understand the precarious situation a firearm in the mix would have.

So let me put it to you folks, should there be recourse to disarm somebody in mental distress? What should the criteria be for disarming somebody who is hearing voices?
If they have been adjudicated mentally deficient by a court of law, they can legally told they cannot have a firearm. Just like any felon released from prison, that works doesn't it.

No, too slow. When some people go manic, they can go from normal to out of their gourd in a matter of a few days, what would work is if the law maintained you could take the guns so long as the person is guaranteed a hearing within three days.
There are a lot of laws I would like to see put on the books, if anyone is 5150'd more than twice in one month, the family can petition the court to h ave their loved one institutionalized. As much as I hate the hell out of Gavin Newsom, he is finally seeing the light..

Up to two years forced treatment. Most people would respond in under six months. My daughter was 5150'd EIGHT TIMES in one year, every time they let her out in three days, AGAINST our pleas to keep her in.

Excerpt.

People could come into the program through short-term involuntary hospital stays (also known as “5150s”), through the criminal justice system or at the recommendation of family members, mental health providers or first responders, among others. They would not need to be homeless to participate.

The court would order a tailored plan involving some combination of housing, medication and services, and would offer the support of a full clinical team, as well as a public defender and a “supporter” who could help a participant make care decisions and prepare advanced mental health directives.

Unlike with conservatorships, which can be indefinite, participation would be time limited – one year, with the possibility of an additional one-year extension.

A stream of state and local leaders spoke to the urgency of the need at the news conference, held on the San Jose campus of Momentum for Health, a behavioral health treatment organization. 

Before this when a person was 5150'd they would get a hearing in three days. Only the bad cases would be held over on a 5250, which is a three week hold. after that, 95% are right back out on the street, but I would say 90% never even get 5250'd It is a worthless revolving door, and it gives families NO recourse, NONE!

Why don't you fund her treatment yourself, if the powers that be in CA think she needs hospitalization, why not pony up the money?

If you are locking up your guns, what is the problem? Did you need the State to tell you to?

Last edited by worriedman; 12/31/22.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA