Originally Posted by Barkoff
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn
Originally Posted by Barkoff
I have to be honest with you, as someone with bipolar in the family, it would scare the hell out of me to not have any recourse in disarming somebody having a manic episode.

You’d need to live with full blown mania to understand the precarious situation a firearm in the mix would have.

So let me put it to you folks, should there be recourse to disarm somebody in mental distress? What should the criteria be for disarming somebody who is hearing voices?

If you're going to take their guns, shouldn't you take the car? Knives? Baseball bats? Lighters? Gasoline? Hockey sticks? Axe? Hammer? Nail gun? Acetone? Bleach? Sticks? Steel toed shoes? Glass? Kitchen utensils?

There is nothing confusing about the Bill of Rights and the US Constitution.

YES, we have taken keys and put kitchen knives in the safe, and locked bedroom doors.
We are talking about people who belong in a hospital, but the system is geared to allow them NOT to be hospitalized.
Straight up, you are given the choice of dealing with it in your home, or pushing your child into the street, really, those will be your choices. If your loved one lives alone it’s just as hard. Think Berkowitz, or any others who had voices tell them what to do, it’s scary schitt, trust me.

Let me give you an example, my daughter once in full mania, took a frozen Turkey out of the freezer, put it on her front lawn, doused it with lighter fluid and lit it on fire. She told the neighbors she was cooking it, and asked them if they would like some when it was done cooking.
Cops were called, she was 5150’d, we begged the hospital to keep her in until she is medicated, three days later the released her, still manic as hell. Should I have recourse to get her guns from her?

She is doing well today, on her meds, back in school, very mellow and clear headed, but the monster is always there under the surface.

That is a whole bunch of words to tell the Campfire that you squat to pee.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309