Over the last year or so I've noticed in this forum that the Savage 99 EG isn't held in as high a regard as many of the other models.....or so it seems from the comments.

Maybe it's not sought by true "collectors" due to it not being very rare, but as far as I am concerned it is the prettiest, best balanced of the 99's and is by far my favorite. I've even gone so far as to replace the wood on a late-model (post 99) .358 with EG wood (the original straight stock and "scooped-out" forend are stored for later if I ever sell another gun....or whoever inherits it wants to). It just looks and feels better with that slim pistol grip and splinter, snobble forend to me.

To me.....the "F" models are OK but with a forend that is too deep and thick to feel good. The "T" is like an "F" with an infection....the forend is all "swoll-up" and too heavy and clumsy. The early "A" models are alright but I prefer the feel of a pistol grip. I own all of these variations but none "fell" right except the EG.

Am I wrong? Is the EG as unpopular as I think it is? If so I am very willing to buy-trade for any you have that are too "ugly" for your taste.

Who else likes the EG and if not tell me why and which model you do prefer.

........for some you could even put a compass in the stock to make it "better" and still have a great felling EG.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know