Natch, I ask and Litz posts this today on Facebook.

Originally Posted by Litz on FB
One of several tuner testing results published in Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting - Vol 3

Link

There are many claims about tuners effect on precision based on anecdotes and small sample size. By contrast, this study uses statistically significant sample sizes and as a result, has a better chance of being "less wrong" than tests compromised of less data.

Detailed test parameters are covered in the book, but the basics are:

Same ammo/load used for the whole test

Fired 5 groups of 5 shots (5x5 aggregate) as a baseline, before installing the tuner

Install tuner and sweep entire range of settings/revolutions multiple times (course)

Select the revolution which appeared to produce best precision

Sweep settings within a single revolution (fine) multiple times per mfg instructions.

One thing to note at this point is that the best and worst settings were different each sweep. This alone demonstrates that the test for best setting is not repeatable **but you would never know it if you don't repeat the test**

Then, 5 groups of 5 shots were fired at each of the settings indicated as best and worst in the fine sweeps.

Finally, the tuner was removed and a 5x5 agg was fired again in the baseline configuration

Results: the precision, as characterized by a 5x5 agg, is statistically no different at any of the tuner settings or the before and after baselines.

Analysis: in this case, the tuner did not affect precision (same result for the other tests which included: A 6 Dasher PRS rifle, 22 rimfire, and another test on a different FTR gun/shooter)

There's a podcast that covers this as well on www.thescienceofaccuracy.com Academy.

Follow me for more statistically significant test results⚡⚡⚡

#appliedballistics #thescienceofaccuracy

Me