I'm new to loading for the 30-30, and using a Redding A series FL die set. So far the only bullet I've loaded is the Hornady 160 FTX.

I tried the usual set-up for the seater die, put a case in the shell holder, put he ram is all the way up, screw in the die until it contacts the case, and back off a full turn. The directions with the die didn't say anything different.

That didn't work, couldn't seat the bullet down far enough in the case, even with the seater stem screwed down as far as it would go. So I set the die down as far as I could, almost touching the case but it still won't seat the bullet down as far as the cannelure, it's about 2 mm short. The loaded rounds cycle in the action and the bullet doesn't stick in the lands but it seems odd that I can't seat down to the cannelure.

Anybody else run into this? The 160 FTX was made for 30-30s so it doesn't seem likely it's a bullet issue but maybe it is. I can swap out a longer seater stem from a different die or get a different one from Redding, just curious why this doesn't work out of the box.

A wise man is frequently humbled.