Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by JMR40
Hiking in Smoky Mt NP my wife and I found a small brass plaque nailed to a tree as a memorial to someone whose ashes had been spread at that spot. A year or so later we were in the same spot and the plaque was gone. I wouldn't have gone as far as placing a marker on public land.

We've told our kids to wait until we are both gone. Mix our ashes and scatter them. Have not listed specific places yet. The money not spent on an expensive funeral is meant to fund a road trip to spread the ashes. The road trip will be our last gift to our kids.
I got curious and took a look at SMNP's rules on scattering. I found this:
Great Smoky Mountains National Park is a special place for many people. Individuals, families, and friends may wish to scatter the ashes of a deceased loved one inside the park. There are no fees connected with scattering cremains but it is necessary to obtain permission pursuant to 36 CFR 2.62(b).

I didn't look up that section of code, but I'd bet that no markers are allowed. Also, possibly they didn't get the permit. I'd bet that the permit is just a way to get people to follow their rules, whatever they are. I wouldn't bother with a permit and certainly wouldn't post a marker.

Any marker is defiantly a no go. I have a friend whose wife’s ashes were put at Spence field in the Smokey Mountain National park. He got a permit and had a memorial with a bunch of his AT hiking pals. He has already got the permit for his friends to spread his ashes at the same place when he’s gone.