Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The OP was mainly about eastern hunting but I'd like to add something about western, when you might be several miles from the road in rough country. I carry enough to spend the night out. When it's cold, that will likely be more than during warm weather. I have several ways to start a fire and I've practiced lighting one at home. It's harder than it looks and takes practice. Some kind of space blanket and a way to stay dry - even in warm dry weather. Mountain summer rain storms can be fierce. A trekking pole can be a big help if you twist an ankle. If you don't want to hike with it, fold it up and put it in your pack. You might think you can cut a hiking pole if needed but in the arid west, many times that isn't possible.

Have NEVER encountered a hunter "several miles" from their truck or road in Washington, Oregon or Arizona. Usually we see them within 300 yards of it. Oh, wait...saw a guy hunting bear with a goose gun ~1/4 mile from the parking lot near Mount Baker/Mount Shuksan.

Good point about storms. Next time you see a Memorial Shelter...you'll know what happened.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !