"Her concern is both that it leads to laziness and further erodes the students' abilities to communicate their thoughts in writing. We've pretty much made it here as a society - for sure for better and worse - in large part because we're able to articulate our thoughts to one another through written medium."
This!!! ^^^^

BC30Cal, I am a school teacher as well with over 30 years experience. In my opinion AI is one of the most detrimental stumbling blocks to a students education that has come along in my lifetime. As long as a student has even minimal gumption to write a prompt or two, this Chatgpt app can basically write every essay or research paper a junior high through college student would ever need. I asked the head of our English department what he thought of this app and whether he thought he could detect whether a student was using it to cheat or not. He replied if he saw a student suddenly improve in their writing skills over-night he would have a clue something was up. I told him I understand that completely, but what about if it's one of your straight A students that decides to use this app. His eyes got big, and he replied that he really wouldn't know what to do, or even possibly have a clue they were cheating. Chatgpt mimics one's writing style after a while. Eventually it would be extremely hard to detect. Colleges like to brag that they have ways for filtering and checking whether a student used AI or not. This app is so new they haven't got it figured out yet. They will tell you they do, but they absolutely do not. I've seen the results of running Chatgpt through check systems, and for the most part, it doesn't detect anything. From what I understand just yesterday our state ban Chatgpt from all our schools. I think it's kind of a knee-jerk reaction, but it also shows that it is a real threat to education.

Is it Friday yet?