My pet load in the .35 Whelen is the 225gr. Barnes TSX over a top load of RL15 for 2710 FPS. The rifle is a custom Mauser with 24" 1 in 14" twist barrel. The load has proven to be a great killer of elk but is too hot for my Remington M700 Classic and Ruger 77RS.

As to recoil isn't all that bad in the Mauser but has proven to be a bit snappy in the M700 and Ruger M77. Recoil pad on the m700 has turned hard s a rock and need to be replaced. The Ruger is on a Ramline stock as the factory stock was cracked and not repairable. It also has a somewhat oversized chamber. I use it for cast bullet loads. I picked up another sizing die for it as the headspacing is a bit more loose than the other two rifles.

I have to sort of agree with Pete53 in the recoil. I'm 84 and it ain't the fun it used to be. The Mauser is still tolerable for short sessions as it's about a pound heavier than the other two rifle with the M700 being the lightest of the three. On the fence on just what I may use if I can get an elk tag and have been playing with stiff loads in a 7x57 as a possible elk load. That .35 with the 225 gr. TSX just flat elk flat, DRT! I could also use a .270, 280 or 30-06 for elk. But first, I have to snag a tag.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE