Originally Posted by Jevyod
I recently acquired a 338-06 and started working on running some Nosler 30-06 brass through my Lee 338-06 sizing die. I adjusted the die down until it made contact with the shell holder and ran a piece of brass through. Loaded the empty brass into the chamber, and the bolt had to be forced closed. Hmm, need more shoulder setback. I ended up adjusting the die down until it cammed over pretty hard. Sized the same piece of brass and tried chambering again. Better, but I can still feel a bit of resistance when I close the bolt. Tried switching from my RCBS shell holder to the Lee. Same thing. Is there any reason not to shoot as it is? I am sure it won't stick in the chamber so hard I can't open the bolt, nowhere near that tight.

Will I run into pressure quicker if I shoot as sized now? Or would you just shoot it as is? I wonder if the chamber was cut on the tight side, and if so, makes me curious to whether it was on purpose. It is a BRNO Mauser with an aftermarket barrel, my gunsmith said if he had to guess he would guess a Douglas barrel.

My understanding is I could solve the problem by getting a machinist to grind .008-.010 off the surface of my shell holder, and I am not opposed to going that route. There is a good machinist just down the road from my place, I am sure he would do it for me.
What kind of rifle is it? I had a problem with a hard bolt closure on a Remington XP-100 R only to find out that the extractor was causing all of my problems.