Originally Posted by BC30cal
pete53;

In that vein but off on a bit of an artery of hunting stories, not technical rifle stuff like the excellent Gun Gack series, if you or anyone has a chance to pick up John's "Born to Hunt" which is still available at their riflesandrecipes.com site, it's a collection of very well told hunting stories.

The earlier hunting story book "The Life of the Hunt" doesn't seem to be there anymore, but is available from abebooks.

Dwayne

Hi Dwayne,

Hope you're doing well--and winter hasn't returned to BC!

Actually, The Life of the Hunt is still very much available on www.riflesandrecipes.com, but if you click on Born to Hunt it's listed as "out of print", as all we have left are 2-3 of our personal beat-up copies. Eileen leaves it on the site to see how much demand there might be, and if there's enough might bring it out as a e-book.

One of the interesting things about the hunting/gun writing business is that in the 1990s--when The Life of the Hunt was originally published in hardcover--I was making the majority of my magazine money by writing hunting and fishing stories, as in narratives rather than how-to articles. About all the major magazines ran them regularly back then, along with Gray's Sporting Journal.

But by the early 2000s the "story" market faded considerably, and the gun-writing market picked up. Which is when I made the transition to almost all gun writing.

Thanks,
John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck