Originally Posted by Mule Deer
About 8% of American men are color-blind in various degrees--which means having somebody else recommend an optic bead color might not help. This can also apply to a lesser extent with various metal beads.

Have used a bunch of "iron" sights, and while the flat-topped Patridge or other post can work well, it depends on how far you might shoot. Most hunters today consider non-optical sights for close-range shooting, but have killed a number of big game animals at 200-350 yards with various front sights and an aperture rear. (The 350-yard shot was on a Quebec caribou.)

Have used fiber-optic beads, and while they present a very defined aiming point, have also seen a few knocked off their base. This still leaves something to aim with--maybe, if the light's right. But I also don't generally carry another bead in the field.)

In general gold/copper or silver work well, especially if you a fine file to angle the face of the bead (or even a post) at about 45-degees away from your eye. This not only picks up more light, but eliminates the "hot-spotting" that can occur with a round bead, where a reflected tiny point of light can cause the rifle to impact slightly differently, depending on the angle of the sun, etc. Using a fine file even gives the bead a slight glow, due to light reflecting off the tiny striations in the angled face. (Believe I read this in Townsend Whelen's writings years ago, but it was quite a while ago. It works.)

^^^ this^^^

My eye-sight has a problem with certain shades of green vs blue. But I’m not sure that’s my issue with front sights.
The front sight has been an issue of which I’ve tried many alternatives. I believe that the brass post is the best for me. I’ve tried a myriad of different front sights over the years. The sight I like best for target work is the Lyman sight with interchangeable inserts. But for hunting, the brass post is clearly the best for me.

I dislike very much Buckhorn sights. There’s no possible way for me to ever warm up to that sight. The trash can is too good for the buck horn sights.

I much prefer aperture sights in general, though in some situations a shallow V is might be better. I dislike sights that interfere with my grip - so tang sights is “no way”. I will not have them.

Maybe it would be different for pistols, IDK. I have not changed factory revolver sights much, except the Super Black Hawk which has crude sights, in my opinion. The only semi-auto I have, was my dad’s 1911 45. It wears target sights and probably will stay that way. I e primarily used that pistol for target work, never hunting.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally