Bobin NH,
You're right about the Burgess 7mm RM, it is a beautiful gun, and though my other two bolt actions shoot slightly smaller groups, it's the one rifle I have total confidence in. Besides being a gunsmithing work of art with nicely figured English Walnut stock,super clean metal work without any ornamentation and a classic old B&L Balvar 2.5 x 8 scope, it just comes up and hits whatever I am shooting at. Right from the very first shot it has boosted my confidence.

The only reason I am thinking about another rifle is because I have a really nice fancy walnut stock all checkered and finished for a Model 700 long action just sitting in my gun cabinet. So I thought for not too much money I could find an old 700 long action, re-blue it if necessary, add a Pac-Nor barrell in a caliber that suites, mount a Leopold 2 x 8 x 36 scope and there you go.

The reality to my hunting is that I could, and over some seasons have, just used the Burgess 7mm RM for everything from Antelope to Elk, Eastern Montana open praire country, NW Montana woods or SW Montana high country. And I believe there is someting to be said for just using that "old reliable" for everything because you and the rifle become "one" and hence more one shot kills. But the other side of the equation is that rifles are fun to collect and use.

So we try to justify more gun ownership by creating arbitrary categories for special hunting situations. Even though I know I am more effective with one of my bolt action scoped rifles, I grab the old open sighted Savage 99 for a walk in the woods. If I'm hunting Elk I carry the Burgess mauser, which will also work fine if a giant Whitetail happens to present himself. A lot of time I carry my .270 hunting deer but with a 150 grain BT I wouldn't hesitate on an Elk should the oppurtunity arise.

That leaves Eastern Montana Antelope and Mule deer hunting where the .270 and 7mm mag are fine, even perfect cartridges for the situation, but also an area where a relative flat shooting lighter fifle would be nice to carry and shoot. So rather than trying to pick the perfect rifle for the situation I am trying to find the perfect sitation for my Rem 700 Long action. If was a short action or a magnum it would be a much easier choice.

I guess I am torn between the .257 which I would use for Antelope or a .338-06 which I would carry for Elk. The reason I lean toward the .257 is because I love the Burgess 7mm mag so much for Elk.

Thanks for all of your replys, sometimes you have to go through this kind of exercise to clarify what was in your mind all along.