Originally Posted by Glacier_John
Hello, I just joined the forum day before yesterday with a question on binoculars, now I'd be interested in your input on what caliber I should pick for Rem 700 long action project. First I hunt every thing from Antelope to Elk and everywhere from dense woods to open praire here in Montana.

I currently have and use the following rifles:

1) A 1952 Savage model 99 in 300 Savage with open sights.
2) My first rifle a Rem Model 700 BDL in .270 with a Leupold 3x9 scope. I bought this gun in 1966 when I was in 11th grade.
3) A Kimber Model 89BGR also .270 with Kimber rings and a B&L Elite 3000 3x9 scope.
4) Finally a Tom Burgess custom 7mm Rem. Mag built on a Mauser 98 action, Al Beisen stock and Apex barrell. this gun was built in 1964 and sports a B&L Balvar 2.5 x 8 scope on and adjustable Beuhler mount. This is my favorite gun and scope and other than the deep woods hunting, is my "go to" hunting rifle.

Now about ten years ago I bought a Fajen fancy walnut stock for my old Remington .270. I finished it with Pilkington stock oil, checkered it and mounted Neidner checkered steel butt plate and pistol end cap. I shot the rifle that way for a few years then put it back in the original stock for nostalgic reasons. Truthfully this is the one gun I never shoot as I'll use the Kimber if I need a .270.

Now my problem is having three rifles all very close to each other ballistically. And since I have a nice custom stock ready to go for a long action BDL I have an opportunity to build a complimentary rifle.

I have been leaning toward a .257 Roberts as that was my Dad's first hunting rifle. I'd rather have the moderate Roberts over a hotter 25-06. This would be a good Eastern Montana deer-antelope rifle. Any smaller caliber would work better with a short action.

Or I could go 30-06 or .338-06 for elk, but my 7mm rem mag works fine there already. Any other ideas? I look forward to your comments.

Why would you feel that anyone here has a better opinion than your own opinion? If you search for the Rifle/caliber that is prefect for you on this forum, you�ll be forever lost.