Mick,

You're right it is my own decision. It was just kind of fun putting it out there for everyone's input. I also thought I might get some new ideas such as the .338-06 which I hadn't considered. Actually I had this same discussion with my Dad prior to signing up here, and it came down to .257 or 30-06 with the tilt going to the .257. I forgot to mention that I don't have a varmit rifle, and we thought the .257 could perform double duty there.

We just had to put my Dad in an assisted living facility last month so I'm kind of grasping at any kind of connection, even an abstract one like using the same cartridge. I'm flying down to Denver to see him in a few days, I'm going to print out this thread to take with me, he'll get a kick out of it.

Now, what is my best sourse for finding a Rem. Mod 700 BDL LA, right hand. The stock was inletted and glass-bedded for my 1966-67 vintage, serial #296,xxx. Can I use any year action, or did Remington make changes along the way that would prevent a newer action from fitting into my stock?