Originally Posted by shinbone
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I'm almost 100% certain that's the new action, the old M1999 action didn't have the scalloping where the banner and serial number is located like in the pic. The pictures with the two piece picatinny rail look like it's machined integral to the action with a cutout in the center to lighten it. It looks like they're offering both the rail option and no rail which is smart.

The old Montana 1999 actions were cast by Pine Tree casting which was a division of Ruger. They were nice but too heavy, there was a lot of unnecessary metal in them. These being fully machined it looks like they did some work to knock out the parts that added weight but no functional benefit. That's great, weight for no reason is a negative. You can always add weight back if it's too light. Most custom rifles come in too heavy when guys start adding heavy scopes, heavy fiberglass stocks and larger contour barrels. It's easy to make a rifle that'll shoot, it's harder to make one that'll shoot and doesn't handle like a train axle.

This is a MRC 1999 that I picked up a few weeks after MRC announced their closing. Except for superficial differences like bluing and stock material, it looks pretty much the same as the gun w/o integral mounts shown on the new MRC website. My MRC 1999 appears to have a higher serial number than the rifle shown on the website, so my guess is the website is showing an old image.

I always thought the MRC 1999 action was a great design, but poorly executed and poorly supported by the company. I hope the new MRC does a lot better, and I will probably buy one regardless of the integral mounts.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
I have the same rifle/different chambering. A late model X3 bought as NOS after the closing. It has the scallop receiver and looks identical to yours. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]