I have found that Walkers and Fox trotters make the best tempered mules if a person is selective.

I have had mules that I trusted with my life. However every horse or mule can have a bad day. Bad things can happen and they happen fast.. I have had darn good mules that lost their team mate or corral buddy that grieved so much you could not trust them. People forget that each breed of horse or mule is bred for certain jobs and think they can do everything. Put a well trained mount in an unfamiliar spot and they can get into trouble.

Some of those walker mounted guys that lead want to show how good their horse steps out makes it miserable for others, but a well trained horse should be able to go at any speed. It's the rider, not the horse. I have had walker mules that would out walk a lot of horses, but I could lead a string or put them in them in the middle and they would match with the others.

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/26/23.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles