Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by dla
But a 4" 44mag is going to move a 240gr HP 1209-1400fps - a power level far beyond a 10mm. I wonder if a 240gr XTP @1300fps would penetrate far enough on a 500+ pound bear?

There is no doubt that a big bore revolver loaded near full potential with heavy bullets clearly out does the 10mm semi auto. However, plenty of big bore revolver guys are carrying "packing pistols" of about 4" in barrel length and in the interest of recoil control and faster follow up shots they download their magnum cartridge a little. A 4" .41/.44/.45 revolver with 220-250 gr. bullets at 1200 fps makes a fine packing gun that is shootable in a crisis situation. And in the case of the .45's with hardcast it would cut a significantly wider wound channel that would create more damage inside a big mean critter than a 10mm. With that said, the full powered 10mm ain't no slouch and compares pretty well with those packing pistol loads when the 10 is stoked with a 220 gr. hardcast at 1200 fps. Going beyond the semi auto vs. revolver thing and focusing on power levels and necessary penetration it would seem the 10mm isn't too far off a typical 4" sixgun load.

Download for faster followup?

Sounds rather silly to me.

If using for defense against something w claws n teeth I'd run 265s cranked in a .44 mag.
At a minimum.

BTW, saw a used Smith 329PD today. Sure is tempting. I shot one w hard cast 250 ish and it wasnt bad at all (w wood grips). Indeed shot recovery would be a little slower, that thing moved a bunch.

But I haven't found a 629-3 4" at decent price. So maybe the 329..............

Last edited by hookeye; 04/08/23.