Originally Posted by AK375DGR
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Originally Posted by Bugger
The 1911 45 ACP is the only semi-auto I’d trust but I would never pick a semi-auto over a revolver for reliable operation especially where weather can be an issue.
I can and have shoot 6 rounds in less than 6 seconds with a 357. A 44 Special or 45 Colt take more time. A 44 magnum takes even more time. The snub nose revolvers in 454 or 44 magnum called the “Alaskan” would not be a good choice for me.
I’ve observed a trick shooter in Deadwood shoot a 357 revolver accurately in much better time than I’ve been able too, when he performed his ‘trick shooting’, it sounded like a rapid fire machine gun and his aim was good.
My normal carry revolver is a Model 19 loaded with 158 grain Keith style cast. I might be tempted to carry my 629 with cast bullets in country where I might be concerned about bears or wolves, but the loads would be somewhere between magnum and special loads.

You are fooling yourself if you think a revolver is more reliable than a modern auto pistol like a Glock or 1911 in. Malfunctions in revolvers generally turn your defensive firearm into an expensive rock. Militaries around the world left revolvers behind a century ago for good reason, reliability "where weather can be an issue". We hear the old cliché that fewer parts equates to better reliability is just that, an old cliché. Similar to claiming a Model A Ford is more reliable than a modern Toyota. Take your revolver of choice and put it through the same field tests Glocks have been through and see how that turns out. You'll change your mind post haste.

Wow, you been drinking the (SA) Semi-Auto Kool aide for sure,,,,, your Military statement show's that you've never been there, and as for the SA-Colt 1911 (which I had in VietNam) was chosen for 1-One attribute, and that was for it's Number of Rounds, in Quick-Fashion Down Range, Period !!!
And there were quite a few guy's carrying S&W M19 .357's in VietNam as well,,,, Never, Ever, Dis-Count the Effectiveness and Reliability of a Revolver in the Hands of One who knows what they have, and how to use it,,,,, and with respects to these Posts about Bear Defense,,,,, it's not about how many rounds you've got, or how Fast you can deploy said rounds down-range,,,, it all comes down to (holding your water, as my Granddad used to say) and putting those Round's where they need to be,,,, in the CNS (Central Nervous System) and or the Vitals of said Bear, as I've been there and done that, on multiple occasions..... cry
Lj in Alaska..... cool

No koolaid, the standard issue sidearm for our military has been the semi-auto in one of several forms starting with the 1911 for over 70 years duration followed by the Berretta and now apparently the Sig. Yes, there have been soldiers carrying revolvers throughout history but those were in specialized situations, not across the board general issue in the last 100 years.

Last edited by SBTCO; 04/09/23.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton