Originally Posted by SBTCO
Originally Posted by Bugger
The 1911 45 ACP is the only semi-auto I’d trust but I would never pick a semi-auto over a revolver for reliable operation especially where weather can be an issue.
I can and have shoot 6 rounds in less than 6 seconds with a 357. A 44 Special or 45 Colt take more time. A 44 magnum takes even more time. The snub nose revolvers in 454 or 44 magnum called the “Alaskan” would not be a good choice for me.
I’ve observed a trick shooter in Deadwood shoot a 357 revolver accurately in much better time than I’ve been able too, when he performed his ‘trick shooting’, it sounded like a rapid fire machine gun and his aim was good.
My normal carry revolver is a Model 19 loaded with 158 grain Keith style cast. I might be tempted to carry my 629 with cast bullets in country where I might be concerned about bears or wolves, but the loads would be somewhere between magnum and special loads.

You are fooling yourself if you think a revolver is more reliable than a modern auto pistol like a Glock or 1911 in. Malfunctions in revolvers generally turn your defensive firearm into an expensive rock. Militaries around the world left revolvers behind a century ago for good reason, reliability "where weather can be an issue". We hear the old cliché that fewer parts equates to better reliability is just that, an old cliché. Similar to claiming a Model A Ford is more reliable than a modern Toyota. Take your revolver of choice and put it through the same field tests Glocks have been through and see how that turns out. You'll change your mind post haste.

What a pile of BS!

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally