Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Lots of guys on here talk about shooting deer to feed the family. I got curious on just how long the deer population would last if/when it gets to this. Here are a few states I picked at random, human and deer populations. Of course the majority of people wouldn't or couldn't hunt, but if even 10% of the population went out and killed a deer, in any state the deer would be extinct in months, some in weeks. There are other factors to consider, of course, like private land. However, in a crisis, private boundaries would cease to exist. You can't stop all the poachers.

North Carolina
humans: 10.7 mill
deer 1 mill

Texas
humans:30.3 mill
deer: 5.3 mill

Kentucky
humans: 4.6 mill
deer: 950 thou

Montana
humans: 1.1 mill
deer: 508 thou

Idaho
humans 1.9 mill
deer 780 thou
It's
Arizona
humans: 7.4 mill
deer: 147 thou

Here are the links to human and deer populations for all the states so you can calculate any other state: HUMANS DEER On the deer page, scroll down a ways to get the total of whitetails and mulies.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Lots of guys on here talk about shooting deer to feed the family. I got curious on just how long the deer population would last if/when it gets to this. Here are a few states I picked at random, human and deer populations. Of course the majority of people wouldn't or couldn't hunt, but if even 10% of the population went out and killed a deer, in any state the deer would be extinct in months, some in weeks. There are other factors to consider, of course, like private land. However, in a crisis, private boundaries would cease to exist. You can't stop all the poachers.

North Carolina
humans: 10.7 mill
deer 1 mill

Texas
humans:30.3 mill
deer: 5.3 mill

Kentucky
humans: 4.6 mill
deer: 950 thou

Montana
humans: 1.1 mill
deer: 508 thou

Idaho
humans 1.9 mill
deer 780 thou

Arizona
humans: 7.4 mill
deer: 147 thou

Here are the links to human and deer populations for all the states so you can calculate any other state: HUMANS DEER On the deer page, scroll down a ways to get the total of whitetails and mulies.
no