Originally Posted by Muffin
It will not take long to get to the 'solo, mountain man style of survival' IMHO.

Most (the population) have not given a single thought to the dependance we have on others.... they think 'it works, always has worked, and always will work'

Gas, electricity, medicine, peanut butter and jelly( I know of several families that eat little to none 'real food' and live off junk food), WATER - how many people in those supply chains??? All you need to do is lose ONE of them and it gets tough.... shut down just one and it accelerates the shut down of another.

For the northern climes how long do you suppose it will be before you can't find a single stick, or pine cone laying on the ground, to heat you water, food, body???? And now you're cutting wood by hand, no Steel or Husqvarna..........

People depend on people. If and when it starts 'to go', it will soon decline like falling off a cliff.......

Coyotes, rats and bugs will fare very well........ it will not take long for the wildlife to ponder ' damn, it sure is quiet'..........

Personally, I don't want to see it..........

For heating in the norther climates, as with any type of prepping…….prepare before it happens. The following suggestions are for those staying put…….not nomads!

A semi load or two of wood will last a while. In my area a few truck loads of coal, once very cheap, will last for decades ……without fear of rot. Though, with coal I would recommend separating into smaller lots and bury it. Sometimes coal had been known to spontaneously combust……best to lose only one stock pile. Also when buried, it will slow the breakdown into a powder. It also removes your heat/cooking supply from prying eyes!

For those with a supply of timber……now is the time to invest in battery powered chain saws, ect. and use the solar (which you already have) to maintain your batteries. For longterm use…..having several quality 2 man crosscut saws and a few quality one man crosscut or bow saws should be available!

Also, you will being trying to grow food……use your food plot for another use as well. It will attract a variety of small animals wanting to eat your garden…….purchase about a half dozen good leg traps. Small, inexpensive, functional…….use them to protect your garden as well as a source of “red meat” while never having to go out and hunt, further exposing yourself to nomads moving through! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024