Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by beretzs
3" targets at 500 would be great shooting for me honestly.

I'd give it a run with my CTR 223 if I had the chance as well. That rifle just plain makes some stuff easy.
Same here; that's .6MOA & on a good day 1 MOA or maybe a little better is about all I can consistently do.

Add a cross wind & 3" at 500 sure is not a gimme.

My point in my comment was that a round with almost half the wind drift as another is a plus, pure accuracy aside.

But the 6 ARC has some issues too, being sensitive to pressure is one of them & why I don't have one yet.

But it was on the OP's list............

MM

I always appreciate your honesty. I know some of you guys shoot really well and have more experience with the little 6 ARC. I know there have been threads on them here too, but were they really shooting that good? I also believe 79s gave up on the couple he was messing with because they were too finicky. Anything that is finicky is going to give you fits past 400 yards. I saw that with some of the slower 6mm's, like the WOA and more recently a 6x45 I messed with for almost a year. Fun little cartridges, but from my experience a fast twist 223 running 77's or even 69's work better when consistency matters. The reason I was thinking of beretzs with his little CTR.

I'm hoping the OP lets us know which one works best for him at 500 yards. It also sounds like he's decided to use his 308w. A great option for sure. I have a lot of respect for the 308w, as it has a good reputation for fine accuracy.

OP, keep us posted on how it works out for you. I also agree about your assessment of the wind. Hopefully you will be using a good high bc pill in your 308 that shoots sub moa for 10 shots. Also, you keep bringing up heat on the barrel. A good barrel will keep those bullets inside 1 moa or less even when it's hot. Correction, I should add that a properly glass bedded rifle with a good barrel and good load should keep them inside 3/4 moa (again that's 10 shots). Barrel heat would be the least of my concerns. A lot of guys make too much of that. If you have a rifle that is stringing them that badly when it heats up, you have a mechanical issue.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA