Originally Posted by jdb
What would be the best bullet for the 7-08 for big game hunting? I’m thinking 140ish grain is the sweet spot weight wise, will it push a mono fast enough for reliable expansion? Accubond is the easy answer but haven’t seen any in a while. What’s the general consensus?

I would recommend against selecting one bullet; eventually it will be out of stock and you will spend extra time and money trying to find it.

Many good bullet and powder combos for the 7mm08. Standard cup and core work so well on game at 7mm08 speeds, I would recommend starting with them in leu of more expensive options. I have yet to catch any bullet from my 7mm08 in a deer or hog; always exited (broadside or quartering shots).

A few options that work well for me, all producing 1/4" 3 shot groups, speeds are from a 22":

120 Nosler BT & Varget, ~44.5 grains, 2.790"oal, 2935fps (you can add about 0.5-1.0 grain more if you want to hit 3k, group is slightly larger but still sub moa)
139 Hornady interlock SP or BTSP / 140 Sierra PH or GK, ~48.5-49.0 H4350, 2,875fps, use a drop funnel as this will be compressed at 2.790" oal

If you are concerned about deep penetration, slap a 140 partition on top of H4350 for 2,875fps.

Big Game is the swiss army knife of powders for 7mm08; works well from the 100 Sierra HP up to 150s. Accuracy is sub MOA, just not as accurate as Varget and H4350 in my rifle.

If you really want to shoot a mono, either the 120 or 140 TTSX on top of Varget or Big Game (you will have case capacity challenges with H4350 and a 140TTSX if you are limited to 2.800" oal, not to say it can't be done, but it is a hassle).

I don't have anything against Accubonds, but my on game experience w/ them has been so similar to standard cup and cores, the marginal benefit does not out weight the marginal cost.

Hope that helps. Shoot whatever makes you happy.