I also will praise Big Red's post and logic, but would ultimately choose whatever bullet weight proved most accurate in my ".30/06" if that was my goto rifle.

The 165 Partition is indeed no slouche, and the .30 cal 180 Pt's have proven themselves in countless elk harvests.

It was only a couple years before Finn Aaggard's death that I discovered him as a writer to Wolfe's Rifle and Reloading magazines. I recall that once Aaggard wrote an article that he praised VERY LIBERALLY the prowess of the .30/06 with 180 grain boollits, with its ever-present .271 SD.

That article is when I started paying [profound] attention to sectional density, as I also recall that AAggard was [partially] commenting in that article that he'd recommended to one of his son's that that one particular load could take ANYTHING in North America - that wasn't too inclined to eat people ......

I too have also thought about what ONE bullet I'd use for that ultimate one-load scenario in the '06, and also the .308 Win.

The 165iver certainly makes most sense in the .308 - for the sake of this thread. However, for example, if I was going Mtn Goat or Sheep hunting in the outback of Alaska, NWT, Yukon, BC, etc. - a good accurate .30/06 165-load could handle everything, including GRIZZ protection. cool

But shoot what works best in your rifle! grin