Originally Posted by Benbo
I’ve only been in on a few Buffalo kills, but I absolutely believe any game animal, whether a coyote, deer, elk, hog, Buffalo, zebra or whatever reacts very differently if it is aware something or someone is out there observing or hunting it. I’ve personally noticed that if an animal is looking at me when I shoot it it will usually run away after being shot ( unless CNS takes a direct hit ) while those that are oblivious to my presence quite often fold up right there.

Again, I’m no buff expert by a long shot, but if I were out hunting Buffalo I would have no issue hunting them with a 30-06 or 338 provided I was allowed good bullets… 180tsx/ttsx in 06 and 250partitions or 225tsx in 338. Again, I’ve never used those on buffs but having seen what they do on other game I’d be happy to use them.

Last fall before I left for a Mozambique hunt the only 375 ammo or brass I could find was factory loaded 250gr hornady CX’s. After digging a number of them out of my shooting berm I was quite impressed and would have used them without reservation. I ended up taking a 416 rigby with 350tsx hand loads that obviously worked. The first one killed my bull but I put 3 more in him before he realized he was dead. My dad rolled his bull with a single 270tsx from a 375….. my bull knew I was there. My dad’s bull was oblivious to our presence.

I would not want to follow a wounded bull with a light rifle but taking a shot at an unaware animal is a totally different scenario in my book. Next time I head over I plan on using my 375HH with 270tsx as I feel I shoot it better than my 416. But I’d really love to kill one with my 338. Or hell…. Maybe I’ll take a 9.3!

Benbo, I’m hunting Mozambique in late October of ‘24 and fully intend to use my 338 on at least one Buffalo. With a broadside shot using either 225 grain Bearclaws or TTSX’s, I’m not worried about my 338 doing the job just fine. I know several PH’s who’ve each had clients take 5-10 buffalo with the 338 using quality bullets. They’ve reported no problems as long as the hunter is selective in his first shot.