I have hunted m'bogo in Tanzania. My limited experience has told me that the condition of the animal at the time it is shot is paramount. I shot a nice bull (39.5 inch spread) through the heart at 20 yds with a 500 grain soft point and the bull moved out about 20 yds. I placed a second in his shoulder (a solid) at 40 yds and he went down. A second bull (42 inch spread) came to the first bull and I put a well-placed 500 grain soft point in him and followed with a quick second 500 grain solid. The second bull was clearly agitated and did not go down. Instead, he turned and came for me. After six more solids he went down. As is customary, I approached each from behind as they laid on the ground and placed "insurance shots" in their spines where the shoulders meet the neck. I was shooting my 458 Lott.

The calm buffalo took two rounds to go down. The agitated one required eight. I was wearing an ammo belt around my waist with soft points on the right side and solids on the left. That way I could reload without looking down and thus keeping my eyes on the buffaloes.

T.S.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!