Originally Posted by KillerBee
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by keith
I am surprised that no one mentioned the Hornady 180 and 200g, they act like partitions.

Hint... Partitions kill very well... but ruin a LOT of meat in the process.

Your call...

I rarely lost any meat with Winchester SuperX Power Points, but I never shoulder shoot which seems to be an American preference.

80+% of my shots are at the lungs or the heart, the balance neck, or head.

Same.

And most of that "blood shot" is usually trim able. The blood is mostly in the membranes and creases between the meat masses.

Shooting them through the meatier pieces, or much bone mass, tho, will blood shoot into the muscle for a fair distance around the hole.

Hint: you do not want to glove-fumble-fuq shoot a caribou through both hinds with an SST 150 Super-performance at 200 yards...... Everything forward was good tho.... Just take my word for it. frown

On the other hand, my wife shot a 3 year old bull moose with .243 100 gr., either NP, or Corelokt at 70-80 yds.. Probably NP.

Penciled thru, missed ribs both sides, lungs were just jellied with blood. He walked 30-40 feet, behind a screen of brush, stood there for a minute or so and tipped over. Meat loss was 4-6 ounces, basically 2 inches up and down from the hole between the two ribs on both sides. Almost identical to a caribou I shot at 413 yards with the 150SP several years ago.

I had minimal loss with a shotgun slug at @ 35 yards, through the big artery just under the spine. No bone hit, just a 12 ga hole perfectly centered through the artery. It was a quick running wing shot with just a front bead, and I took him high.... but I'll take it.

Lost about a 3 inch diameter circle of meat around the hole - half .lb maybe.

I'll take a couple pounds of meat loss per moose or caribou, if necessary. No quibbling. The % works for me.

Last edited by las; 07/19/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.