Originally Posted by thumbcocker
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
I enjoy these bullet threads. I study bullet design and performance. I have over 100 bullets recovered from game. Bullets I have had fail miserably, others swear by them. I absolutely detest Remington Cor-Lokt's as they fail most of the time, yet others have great success. Keep em coming.
Have you ever recovered any core lokt roundnose bullets?

Good question--because Remington has changed the design of the Pointed Soft-Point CL several times over the past 30+ years--including the "thinning" of the thicker jacket over the rear of the bullet, which occurred around 1990. This apparently was due to the old forming dies wearing out--so they decided to change to a thinner jacket in order for the dies to last longer.

But they didn't change the jacket thickness in the round-nose Core-Lokts. Round-nose bullets had gone "out of style" even among most deer hunters, so they weren't selling nearly as much RN ammo--and almost no RN bullets to handloaders. Don't know if that's still the case, as I haven't been able to find any RN Core-Lokt ammo for a while to section the bullets, but do know the present PSP Core-Lokts have relatively thin "sidewalls." Bought a box of .30-06 180s a year or so ago just for that purpose.

Also know that Remington has sometimes loaded Hornady Interlocks in "Core-Lokt" ammo. This started around 1990 after the jackets were thinned in the original PSP Core-Lokts.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck