When my granddad died in Nov 1968, I inherited his Savage 24, in 22 LR and 410 on the bottom.
Its old enough it has no serial number.

My grandfathers favorite two meals were squirrel or rabbit. He had many a meal of them in his life, courtesy of his Savage 24. The 22 barrel on top, has NO rifling for the first 6 inches or so in the barrel. One has to wonder how many 22 bullets, need to be shot thru a single shot, to wear out 6 inches of the rifling in the rifle?

Funny, I ended up with it, because most of my cousins didn't want it. They didn't want it, because our grandpa had other guns with more features. They wanted the feature filled firearms. I wanted the two rifles that was our granddad's favorite two... the 24 Savage and a very early Marlin 30/30. Didn't matter what they were. These were the two that had the most wear and tear on them.. but by far had killed the most game. He was from the days, when most of rural America eat more wild game than they did store bought meat. He was born in 1907 in Wytheville VA. Much of his life, where he lived, if hunting license were required, most people never bought them, and they took wild game pretty much year round. Besides most game animals, the other major source of meat was from slaughtering of hogs off the farm.

The Marlin was stolen out of my truck back in Minnesota, but I still have the 22/410 Savage 24.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez