It seemed like you couldn’t pick up a gun magazine in the early 90’s that didn’t have a story touting the magical powers of the 280
Remington. The lack of both available factory ammo and the time to put together my own had always kept me from scratching that itch. That was until recently when a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle spoke to me.

That particular rifle/cartridge combo had held my intrigue for 30 years so enough was finally enough. The only other rifle I may have considered for my first 280 would’ve been a Custom KS. The blued & walnut Mountain Rifle are the best looking Remington 700’s ever made IMHO.

I haven’t had a chance to shoot this rifle yet, but will mount up a spare Kahles 2-7x36 sometime after Thanksgiving and see how it shoots. It will make for a handy package. I tracked down some Hornady Precision Hunter 140’s and will check out Norma’s 160 Tip Strike as well. I’m looking forward to seeing if the setup meets my expectations after 30+ years of lusting after it! I may get time to wring it out yet this year on a TX deer or hog.