I'll jump in and add my .02 cents: I'll be 88 next month and my big game rifles are mediums and a big bore. I handload for each and have for over forty years. I don't own a small bore except for a couple .22 LRs. Usually one goes with me to the range for practice of trigger control and a break from heavy recoil. I settle on hunting loads (handloads) for each BG rifle, practice a little with those loads and get away from the bench. And for my .458 Win I've settled on a reduced load for a relative light bullet - a 250gr MonoFlex (no lead) at 2700 fps that's very accurate and holds onto 94% of unfired weight in very tough test media. It's my bear load that makes 24 ft-lbs recoil (and the rifle has Mag-na-porting). I also sit up straight at the bench (no slouching) allowing my upper body to move with the recoil as in offhand shooting (which I also do in the woods of Gov. property). And I hold down on the fore end of the rifle to keep it from bouncing off the rest so it comes straight back.

Then, for all those rifles (.35 Whelen, 9.3 x 62, .375 H&H) I shoot full house handloads using magnum PAST shoulder protection, PLUS either a folded up terry-cloth towel OR (now) a 2" thick piece of dense rubber foam cushion (cut from a tree stand cushion) to fit over or under the PAST protector (Got that idea from Dr Ron Berry who shoots a lot of full house .458 Win Mag). In other words, I protect for the jolts to my shoulder that's connected to my whole body. Extra ear protection helps with the nervous system by telling it the recoil isn't that bad after all. Most of my life I've been shooting magnums and Big Bores and see no need to quit yet with proper management of recoil through: weight and fit of rifle, particular handloads for the game in question and getting off the bench when the rifle's ready to hunt. Once I have the load for a particular rifle, I'll test it for accuracy at the bench by shooting no more than about 8 to 10 rounds per session. And at this stage in my life, I try to keep all loads under 40 ft-lbs recoil if possible.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 11/28/23.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus