People are different.
The MSG in one Dorito snack chip will set off a migraine in some people.
Likely same with the whiff of gunpowder fumes, nitrates and nitrites in food also cause migraines in some.

I suspect it is a cerebral vascular sensitivity to various stimuli that causes the "gun headache."
Concussive sound waves transmitted to vessels in head might be a trigger too, in some folks, not all.
The full blown "concussion syndrome" of brain bouncing off skull need not occur to get a gun headache.
But if it does occur, some folks are more susceptible to that too.
The outsides of our skulls are different.
Some of us have a pronounced inion at the back of the skull, a bony prominence, feel it when petting your favorite hound.
Other folks have smooth skulls at the back.
The pseudo-science of phrenology read bumps on the skull.
Maybe insides of skulls are different too.
Some skulls handle brain bounce better.

I only got gun headache from the likes of +.50-cal sporting rifles and the 12ga From Hell 3.85" rifle with 1400-gr slugs at 1400 fps (no brake) to 1800 fps (with brake),
Those are also the guns that caused a mild electrical shock sensation to run down my arm, from shoulder to trigger hand.
That one is easy to explain as a love tap on the brachial plexus nerves in the shoulder,
not as painful as a "funny bone" contusion of the ulnar nerve.

I am lucky in just not getting headaches.
The only other times I can think of mild headaches I have had is after a punch to my face in a boxing match made me suddenly sit down hard on my butt.
Fight was over, I was 17 y.o. and have not boxed since, just don't have the speed some do.
I am a slow-twitch endurance athlete type.
I am proudest of 2 miles in 9:25 at age 18 y.o., back when I was an inch taller and 60 pounds lighter.

Also, I tried learning to ski at 60 y.o. Bad idea. Bouncing my helmeted head off the ice one time was enough.
Had a mild headache for a few minutes after that too. Never tried skiing again.

Now the real funny:
Mr. buckstix once argued that a steel plate on a shotgun-style butt was excellent on a hard kicker, better than any recoil pad.

I am calling out Mr. buckstix on that. Wrong.

As Bob Mitchell noted, a benchrest pad of high-density foam rubber, cut from a deer stand seat cushion,
would work well on a .577 Tyrannosaur with a steel butt plate.
I use such a sissy pad for benchrest shooting.
The extra LOP it gives also prevents Weatherby Eyebrow, at the benchrest.
Accept the scope's ER and tunnel vision at the benchrest.
Learn and live.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.