These days since a bad car wreck have pretty much kept me away from shooting anything. A while back I retired most of my harder kicking rifles and have been playing with the 7x57 load to 7-08 levels. In fact, on Jan 2, 2020 when I had my accident, I was on my way to the range to do a final check of the sights on my Winchester M70 7x57 using the 150 gr. Nosler Partition as my elk load. I did plan to also take my .35 Whelen as back up in case pf problems with the M70. Best laid plans.
Probably the cartridge that has hurt me to most is the .338 Win. Mag. I have a .375 H&H, .404 Jeffery and .416 Rigby Ruger #1 rifles that are more or less retired. The two .338 Win. Mags I have are a post 64 M70 and a stainless classic. Either rifle literally slams me back and forth and I hear a "click" inside my head. After a very few shots I get a vicious headache that takes hours to go away. FWIW, the click sounds a lot like a small branch being broken in two. Dunno if that means anything but it tells me to stop shooting that .338 Win. Mag. The Stainless Classic has a 26" Barrel plus 2.5" of muzzle brake and recoil is no different that the 24" barreled post 64 gun. I have no problem shooting an M70 26" barreled .300 Win. mag. Haven't quite figured that one out yet.
Looks like if and when I start shooting again, it'll be stuff like the .223 Rem.,.243, 7x57, .308 and maybe the 30-06. They've never given me any trouble regarding recoil. I'll limit the .35 Whelen to check shots and an actual hunt should I do another elk hunt. I have given thought to the 7x57 as promary and the 30-06 for back up for the elk unt as I usually just go for a cow for meat.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE