What hunting challenge "has massaged your ego" to help you believe that your are now a good hunter?
Considering, your power of observation to locate that massive Ram( insert your game animal of choice)
So now you have located your massive prey...what to do?
For me, it is usually a Bighorn Ram , it is inaccessable at this time and I can see the horns are heavy , deep, broomed off and all by himself- an old Ram.
I need to chart away up , around or over to the beast to get a reasonably close shot when he stands.
Usually, you don't want him to see me and feel threatened- I assume he has seen me. Bighorns have unbelievable vision.
I start up my chosen route .
My critera for the classic stalk, is to get somewhere around the same elevation or higher, I want to observe him more. Walking without ever skylining, a little crawling and retreating to prove to myself , the old battleaxe is still there.
Finally, I am in range , my guess 250 yards. I lay my daypack down and place my rifle on it, then setup my spotting scope ( if I can) ....he is still chewing...gotta wait.
He then stands to begin to feed or get more comfortable. I take my rifle shot, he tips over.
I walk down and over, sit down for 10 minutes to absorb what I just went through and how it happened. Then, I get to work ,I need to rough cape it for a shoulder mount, and save every piece of meat.
I have been in this situation, I always use one of my Sheep rifles and are nearly always a .270 wcf.
Let's hear about your experience? Serious hunters will have many. Most of my memories are solo hunts, in my youth when I was tough as nails, ultra observant and on a mission.
( Gunwriter's , you are free to use your artistic licence, to keep us engaged)
This might not be ideally suited under the Gunwriter heading. I did include my rifle's chambering.
Cheers