For me, it is likely my 2009 Montana wolf, killed during the first official season ever there after delisting so interest (and hatred) for the hunt was ridiculously high.

I don’t recall which number on the 75 wolf quota he was as far as being checked in to MFWP. 30 something maybe?

He was a SCI silver skull so I decided to officially enter him even though I am not a ‘book’ person. I have several other heads that I could enter into B&C and SCI, but just haven’t. He was the first lower 48 wolf to be entered into the books so by default he was the state record. I believe he has been surpassed now but I haven’t seen if anything bigger is officially on the Montana books or not, and really don’t care.

Runner ups are my Afognak Island Roosevelt bull elk, Alaska Dall sheep and my Montana Shiras moose. All were DIY solo (except the Afognak hunt which was DIY but not solo) and all were substantially harder hunts both physically and mentally. They didn’t however have the distinction of all the ‘firsts’ associated with that wolf.