One of my favorite turkey hunts

3rd hunt chasing this bird, he'd gobble once or twice on the limb and that was it, never to be seen or heard again. Usually a waiting game with these birds, they would at some point hit the powerline or food plots but this one just wouldn't. I took a chance and setup on a small old loading dock close to where I heard him the day before. There were no trees to sit on but a small tuft of grass on the edge. My vest has a built in frame so a tree wasnt necessary, got in earlier than usual, about 30 minutes before light, I literally plopped down in the grass, put my head down on the gun as if I was going to shoot...I knew if he was there I wasnt going to be able to move at all. I had a mouth call just in case but I chose not to call. No decoy. It gets light, nothing...no gobbles, gets more light and I'm getting a little discouraged. Finally a hen pitches down on the other side of the loading dock about 75 yards away. I figured it was over. Well the gobbler was right behind me the whole time and pitched down behind me, never made a sound. I have my eyes cut to the right over my shoulder and he was in full strut about 10ft from me. Why he didn't just pitch down with that hen is beyond me. He spit and drummed for a good 15 minutes until finally he started moving and walked less than 10 yards in front of my gun barrel when I shot him. That was the longest I've never moved on a turkey hunt. About an hour. I was pretty proud of that bird.

Last edited by killerv; 11/30/23.