Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by bobdahunter
Thanks for the input. I will have to measure it when I get back home. This was the gun I had inquired on here about a few months back. This was a gun that I'm 99% sure was originally purchased by US Military back in WWII. There are engravings on the receiver that indicate as much, and there are records with firearms with serial numbers on both sides of mine (very close) being purchased by the government. So with all that being said, I assumed it was originally born as a 30-06, but I guess I don't know that for sure.

I may just make a call to my smith to get the situation resolved. I was going to have him put in a recoil reducer anyway in the stock. So maybe I'll just have him make the mount as well.

Ah, you are probably right. So it probably has the stripper clip slots? The reason the rear hole spacings are short, like the H&H models. I vaguely remember the rifle, had etching on the receiver like a kindergartner did it. Here's a slightly better representation:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Boy those guys back then didn't give a schidt what it looked like, I guess??

I may be wrong?

Sounds like yours has had some extensive amount of work done to it, to make it a 416 Remington magnum. I'll bet your smith can get it scoped up for you pretty easily. Good luck with it.

A repost of my comment in the original thread…..

No source document, but, a long time Winchester Custom Shop employee shared that the crude electro pencil “US PROPERTY” marking was put there by the Winchester factory on guns sold under direct contract to the US Government. Not just on M70’s but M52’s etc. It seems likely that Winchester just pulled finished guns from inventory when an order was placed and scribed “US PROPERTY” on them before shipping (the electro pencil mark was applied after the receiver was blued).

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson