I'd have to agree with BSA on the mounts. I think "less is more" on an old hunting rifle. I personally have never liked the quick detach rings. I've spent a boat load of $ trying them in the past, they never were perfect after testing them, taking the glass off and putting it back on. Took 5 shots to get it back where I started. I'd be leaking confidence if I was in Africa and had pulled the scope off for some reason, and put it back on, "hoping" that it was correct without getting a few shots to test it.

If I wanted to shoot without sights, I'd bring a double with me. If I'm bringing my bolt with me, I'll have an appropriate magnification mounted on the gun, and the scope will stay on the gun. Like my original post said, a 1-6 VXHD will be mounted on this one--which is just about perfect in my opinion for this gun.

I really don't like the 1-piece mounts on my Model 70s, because I don't like that ejector being covered at all. I think all but 1 of my guns has 2-piece mounts. But my smith said he might do a picatinny rail, and modify it (cut it) so it doesn't cover the ejector at all. We'll see. Undecided still on that.