My kids have shot whitetails with a RAR compact and 50 gr GMX’s from 90- 177 yards, hand full of recovered bullets that were all 95%+ retention - most have been quartered to and onside shoulders broken and bullets caught under the hide by the last rib. One was facing dead on, shot in the lower throat and the bullet travelled down his spine smashing vertebrae for a couple feet.
A couple ex gf’s have shot some pretty big muleys with my 223AI’s, one with a Sako Vixen and a 45 TSX at 160-ish yards, both shoulders broken and bullet under the offside hide.
The other gf shot a great buck quartering to at 394 yards with a Kimber Montana 223AI and a 75 Amax. Broke onside shoulder, bullet under the hide behind the last rib.

Buddy of mine has used that Montana out to 300 on a couple whitetails, usually both shoulders broken and the bullet under the hide.

I’ve used that rifle with 45/53/62 TSX and TTSX’s on whitetails and black bears, shots from 75 to 200-ish yards.
And with the 75 Amax black bears and whitetails from 3 feet to 450 yards.

I’ve used the 88 ELD m from a Remington 700 223AI on a black bear and a couple moose. All three of those were between 151 and 166 yards. Bear and one moose both square through the shoulders with both blades punched. Moose caught the bullet under the hide - 48% retention I think I remember, the bear was an exit.
Other moose was this year and quartered to me, shoulder knuckle at the bottom of the scapula smashed to dust, and bullet was under the hide at the last rib or so. 68% retained.
One moose and the bear both went straight down, one moose managed 3 hops and got a second round - nothing but ribs and lungs - as he was falling sideways, just for giggles. That one exited.

Buddy used his 223AI on a nice muley this year, 404 yards (I think at any rate, somewhere around there) in at the last rib, caught on the offside just behind the shoulder. 80% retained weight.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.