I have read hundreds of " .223 Rem./ 22 cal. " for deer threads. There are 3 different types of people that comment.. 1 , I would NEVER use something so small for deer and the deer deserves better...... 2, " sure it will work but why , when there are so many better rounds"... 3 .. " have shot many deer and hogs with the 22 cal. and they are devastating to the organs... I have come to realize , it is not the size of the case or bullet. The reason for the " Use a min. of 25-06 ," is cause it is engrained in peoples minds that you need a .270 , or 30-06... In a sporting goods store once. A young buck turned down a dandy rifle cause it he wanted a 30-06 , but it was a .270 Win... cause he wanted something a little bigger than .270 Win... I used a .270 Win. for 40 yrs. but went to a .243 WIn. and I am very impressed with it.. It smashes the organs , and a 22 cal. will do the same.. I even think a 22 or 24 cal. will kill even faster than my .270 WIn. It has to be in the bullet than does something like take the energy and separate the blood vessels from the organs.. I had my very worst shot in my life on a deer this year . It was way back , and just below the tenderloins and dropped it right there. It had to go into shock and killed it. It didnt die right away , but it never moved. It may have hit the liver but not sure. A bullet that is going 3,000 fps is going 2,000 mph.. If the bullet does it's job , its all over.

Last edited by ihookem; 01/12/24.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23