Originally Posted by Cowboybart
I have the AI version on a P-17 Enfield that Winchester made. I fireformed brass with 4198 and cast bullets - no case failures. I have yet to run full tilt loads thru it as I can't get the stock to fit me correctly. I'll play with it this winter, if it is still uncomfortable I'll pull it off and start again. Nice thread, got me motivated to do something with mine.

Once ya get the stock where you want it……you may, just may find that will be your only hunting rifle, unless you need something pretty specialized!

I too shoot cast bullets, or at least did……it’s been a while. I tend to push mine pretty hard with jacketed bullets or for the past 31 years or so. I do minimal sizing, only lightly “kissing” the shoulder enough to make chambering near effortless…..just a little resistance. I toss my brass after 10 firings. Maybe I could go longer if I annealed my brass. With components, especially brass getting difficult to get, I may start annealing, to hopefully extend my case life a bit.

My most recent load is with Barnes 270 grain LRX’s pushed to 3100 mv from a 24” barrel. I need to go out sometime soon at near zero temperatures to determine my velocity loss due to low temperatures!

Unless you plan on shooting at some pretty extreme ranges, I think that those LRX’s woul make a pretty darn good “all around” load for anything that I’ll ever hunt here in Wyoming! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024