Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Just a few words of warning. 1. If you're thinking of re-barreling a Model 70 from .338 Win Mag to a .375 Ackley, Improved etc, you need to ensure that the stock that is on the rifle will take the increased recoil. The .338 wood stocks have one recoil lug and one-cross bolt. The .375's have two cross-bolts and are made heavier from the factory and that is just for a standard .375 H & H. Many stocks will eventually split with that increased recoil. 2. The .375 H & H is right at the upper end of where most hunters can shoot well due to recoil. Everyone thinks they can shoot a more powerful cartridge than the .375 H & H well, but very few actually can. Anything more powerful compromises most hunters' ability to shoot dangerous game well. 3. The .375 H & H is very popular partly because it feeds so well due to the sloping shoulder and narrow shoulder and tapered case. On dangerous game, that is an important attribute. Just sayin'...no need to shoot the messenger.

Good thoughts! I've had two 375's, a Model 70 and a Ruger Number One. Both were great rifles, I kept the Number One. Toyed briefly with the idea of "improving" it and decided it was just fine as a standard 375 H&H with good handloads. It's enough for me.

Regards, Guy